Wine Based Drinks: 75% Wine, 25% Egg And Milk?

We aren’t fans of buying wine in supermarkets. It’s a bit of a minefield as we wrote about recently. Now the consumer has another complication to deal with.

A few of the big supermarkets are now stocking wine based drinks. They come in wine bottles. They are in the wine aisle. But are they wine? I guess that depends on your definition of wine.

Wine based drinks are defined by the International Organisation of Vine and Wine (OIV) as products consisting of at least 75% wine. What’s the other 25% then? Well, you might hope it is water however the photos supplied by The Daily Mail suggest otherwise, namely milk and eggs… honest, take a look!

As a totally irrelevant aside, The Daily Mail article lists the OIV as the European industry body, which isn’t quite right. Various European member states are part of the OIV. However, the European Union itself is an observer of work from the OIV through participating organisations such as the International Federation of Wines and Spirits (FIVS)… aside complete!

Let us pretend that we can live with the fact that if we buy one of these drinks and drink it, we are drinking something that is 75% wine and 25%… well we aren’t sure. Let us also pretend we don’t care if that 25% is water, or eggs or milk… Wouldn’t you be ever so slightly annoyed if, in an impulse purchase you picked up a bottle of wine on an aisle end, took it to a party and someone noticed that in tiny print on the back of the bottle it says “wine based drink”?

The Daily Mail claims supermarkets stocking these products are misleading their customers and we would agree. If it isn’t wine, make it clear on the front of the bottle. Or, put it somewhere else more appropriate, perhaps the dairy section.

Image is “Wine” by Christine592 licensed under CC BY 2.0

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s